Minister Lindiwe Zulu to launch the National Drug Master Plan
On the occasion of the virtual commemoration of the International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, the Minister of Social Development Ms Lindiwe Zulu will on Friday, 26 June 2020, officially launch the National Drug Master Plan (NDMP, 2019-2024).
The NDMP is a blueprint for combating the scourge of alcohol and substance abuse which has reached epidemic proportions in South Africa.
The overarching goal of the National Drug Master Plan is to prevent drug use before it starts, early intervention to ensure substance users receive treatment and rehabilitation services and reducing the demand for illicit drugs.
The national theme of this year’s commemoration is: “Value yourself and make healthy choices against alcohol, tobacco and drug abuse to minimize the spread of COVID-19”.
This year’s commemoration takes place at a time the global community confronts the major socio-economic challenges posed by the global COVID-19 pandemic which presents unique challenges for persons with substance use disorders and those in recovery.
The commemoration coincides occurs in the context of the nationwide activities of the Youth Month programme, as young people comprise the vast majority of illicit drug users. Given this, there is a clear need for prevention efforts directed towards the youth.
Government remains resolved to tackle the scourge of alcohol and substance abuse in South Africa. In this regard, the Department has established the Central Drug Authority (CDA) - a multisectoral forum to tackle the scourge of alcohol and substance abuse.
Speakers who will form part of the International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking Webinar will include:
- Ms Hendrietta Bogopane-Zulu, Deputy Minister of Social Development
- Dr David Bayever, CDA Chairperson
- Ms Zhuldyz Akisheva, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Regional Representative for Southern Africa
- Prof Charles Parry, Director: SA Medical Research Council - Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs Research Unit
- Dr Sharon Nyatsanza, Project and Communications Manager: National Council Against Smoking
- Ms Adrie Vermeulen, National Coordinator: SANCA
- Ms Ayakha Tono, Child Ambassador: Western Cape and recovering substance users
The National Drug Master Plan can be]accessed on: https://www.gov.za/documents/national-drug-master-plan-2019-2024-24-jun-...
Date: Friday, 26 June 2020
Media enquiries may be forwarded to:
Ms Lumka Oliphant
Cell: 083 484 8067